Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Headspace

I have a theory that we have only so much space in our heads at any given time. Picture a real-time, cognitive, pie chart. Some of us have more space, others less --but we are all  held to limited space.

It could also be called focus, which can be very helpful at times. The downside is that when we focus on something fully, it fills a big old chunk -or all of our cognitive pie chart and we don't have room for much else. We may lose the car keys, put the cereal in the freezer and sort of lose touch with all manner of daily niceties. In my own life I can lose serious perspective when my headspace is full.

I realize this is similar to what is called "mindfulness" but  I am also aware of the fact that many of us have commitments that require us to fill up our headspace -so I try not to beat myself up about the times I can't control all that is coming at me. With that said, am learning to seek out ways to free up some space so I can have a little extra room in my personal cognitive pie chart.

The other thing is: to remember that when I am not thinking clearly or having trouble making decisions, -that its just a matter of full headspace and time to look for ways to get rid of something that is taking up space.




No comments:

Post a Comment